9/1/2014 6:20 P.M. ET
Pedroia unlikely to return until weekend series
By Ian Browne / MLB.com
ST. PETERSBURG -- Dustin Pedroia, who sustained a concussion on Saturday, reported following Monday's 4-3 loss to the Rays that he's feeling better.
"There's a part where you feel normal and then they've got to take all these tests and stuff. I've got to pass them," said Pedroia.
Still, it seems doubtful the second baseman will return from his concussion in time to play at Yankee Stadium from Tuesday-Thursday.
"Yeah, I mean, I hope," said Pedroia. "Whenever I go through that and I don't have any symptoms, then I'll be out there as fast as I can."
It's far more likely Pedroia will be back in action at some point during the next homestand, which starts on Friday against the Blue Jays.
"He still has some of the symptoms," said manager John Farrell. "So this is clearly a day-to-day thing. We're probably at least another day from any kind of exertion test or any kind of ramping up of the heart rate to see if there's still some residual [symptoms]. But he's sore where the impact took place on the side of the head. As I mentioned the other day, we'll be cautious with this."
Pedroia experienced symptoms consistent with a concussion after taking a blow to the head in Saturday's loss to the Rays at Tropicana Field. Logan Forsythe unintentionally struck Pedroia in the face while he was sliding into second base as he tried to swim-move around Pedroia's tag.
"I don't know, it happened fast," said Pedroia. "I just went down there to get the tag and got kind of hit in my jaw or my ear. I got real dizzy when I was out there, and I didn't really like it. Not a good feeling."
With Pedroia again out of action, Brock Holt moved to the No. 2 spot in the order and played second on Monday against the Rays. Top prospect Mookie Betts made his first career start at leadoff and played center field against Rays lefty Drew Smyly.
Though Betts came through the ranks as a second baseman, Farrell doesn't plan on having him play there during Pedroia's absence.
"No, because it's been quite a while since Mookie has had any reps at second," said Farrell. "He's had a lot on his plate this year with defensive positioning and changes to it and don't want to take him back and forth."
Castillo to join Sea Dogs' playoff roster Wednesday
ST. PETERSBURG -- Center fielder Rusney Castillo will move up the Minor League chain and play for Double-A Portland, starting with Wednesday's playoff game against Binghamton.
This, after Castillo played in back-to-back Gulf Coast League playoff games in Florida on Sunday and Monday.
Castillo went 0-for-3 with a walk on Monday in Tampa while playing six innings in center field.
The Red Sox are fortunate to have both Portland and Pawtucket still playing, and that will allow Castillo to get the at-bats he needs to shake off the rust after not playing competitive baseball for more than a year.
"I think we've looked at it as, 'Let's get him every available at-bat before those teams shut down' before we would entertain the thought: 'Is the next step here with us?" explained manager John Farrell.
Castillo signed a seven-year, $72.5 million deal with the Red Sox on Aug. 23.
• Right-handers Brandon Workman and No. 5 prospect Anthony Ranaudo will be added to the roster to pitch the second and third games in New York, but Farrell hasn't divulged which order they will pitch in. As rosters expanded Monday, the Red Sox added just one player, knuckleballer Steven Wright, who will be used out of the bullpen.
• Still a little sore after suffering a bruised right foot last week, David Ortiz got a scheduled day off on Monday. Mike Napoli was the designated hitter and Allen Craig played first.
"We'd kind of earmarked a couple of days on this trip. That was even before he fouled a ball off his foot," said Farrell. "With a left-hander going today, felt like this was the day to give him a day. He'd be fully ready to go through the New York series."