© 2014 MLB Advanced Media, L.P. All rights reserved.

8/26/2014 12:40 A.M. ET

Review in 10th inning plays role in Red Sox's victory

Farrell wins challenge on Betts' steal; Gibbons' challenge unsuccessful

TORONTO -- A crew chief review confirmed that Brock Holt had safely stolen second base in the top of the 10th inning of the Red Sox's 4-3 victory over the Blue Jays at Rogers Centre.

Holt ended up scoring the winning run after he stole third and crossed home on an RBI single from Yoenis Cespedes, helping the Red Sox snap an eight-game losing streak.

"The replay on the scoreboard kind of gave you the sense that it's not going to be conclusive," said Red Sox manager John Farrell. "Turns out the call stood."

Holt broke for second as Dustin Pedroia struck out, and Holt barely beat a one-hop throw from catcher Dioner Navarro as he slid in under the tag from Munenori Kawasaki.

Blue Jays manager John Gibbons has already spent his manager's challenge earlier in the contest, but he came out of the dugout to ask the umpire for a chew chief review of second-base umpire Chris Guccione's safe call. After 55 seconds, the call was confirmed.

Holt said he was confident that he got in under the tag.

"I was pretty sure," he said. "I slide in, hit the base and then he tagged my chest. I was pretty confident I was safe."

Earlier in the contest, Mookie Betts was ruled safe after a one-minute, nine-second review revealed that he was under the tag when he swiped second base in the seventh inning.

With Christian Vazquez at the plate and Red Sox leading, 3-0, Betts broke for second on the first pitch of the at-bat. Betts appeared to beat the throw from Navarro, sliding in under the tag from Kawasaki.

Betts was ruled out by Guccione, prompting Farrell to challenge the call, which was overturned after a short review.

Betts, the Red Sox's No. 1 prospect according to MLB.com, was stranded at second base as Vazquez and Holt flied out to end the inning. Betts has stolen four bases in 20 games this season.

Gibbons used his challenge in the bottom of the ninth inning after Kawasaki hit a slow grounder to third base. Boston's Will Middlebrooks made a diving play and then came up with a strong throw to first to retire Kawasaki.

Gibbons wasn't sure if the correct call had been made by first-base umpire Hal Gibson, so he stepped out of the dugout and immediately motioned for a review. Following a brief 43-second delay, the call on the field was confirmed and Kawasaki was called out.

Jamie Ross is an associate reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.