© 2014 MLB Advanced Media, L.P. All rights reserved.

8/24/2014 7:37 P.M. ET

Red Sox option Workman to Triple-A, recall Hembree

BOSTON --- A day after he gave up seven runs on 10 hits in less than four innings, the Red Sox optioned righty Brandon Workman to Triple-A Pawtucket. The club recalled reliever Heath Hembree in a corresponding move.

The Red Sox have an off-day Thursday, so manager John Farrell could stick with four starters for now, but said a pitcher will be called up for Friday's game at Tampa Bay -- likely Anthony Ranaudo, who started for Pawtucket Sunday and has made a pair of spot starts for Boston this season. Workman will go for the PawSox on Friday, which is when Ranaudo's next start would be.

Ranaudo is 14-4 with a 2.46 ERA and .219 batting average against in 23 starts at Triple-A this season. The 6-foot-7 righty has allowed 12 hits and six runs in 12 innings with the Red Sox, winning both his starts.

Workman has eight losses in his last eight appearances, posting a 6.75 ERA and 1.63 WHIP during that span. The Red Sox skipped his turn in the rotation 10 days ago because of fatigue, and Monday against the Angels, Workman allowed just two runs on six hits over seven innings, citing the rest as a reason for his success.

But Workman took a step back Saturday by surrendering those seven runs in 3 1/3 innings against the Mariners. He came through the first three fames unscathed, but allowed all seven runs on seven hits in the fourth in a 7-3 loss.

"I was doing my best to gather myself and flush the last pitch and focus on executing the next pitch," Workman said. "I thought I did a good job of flushing the pitch before, just didn't do a good job of executing the next one."

Farrell said Hembree will be used in a long relief role should the club need it. Sent from San Francisco to Boston in a deal for Jake Peavy in late July, the 25-year-old righty threw four shutout innings --- frames 15, 16, 17 and 18 --- in an Aug. 9 loss to the Angels. He was optioned the following day.

"We gain a multi-inning reliever to support our bullpen right now," Farrell said Sunday.

Bogaerts placed on concussion DL; Papi day to day

BOSTON -- The Red Sox placed Xander Bogaerts on the seven-day concussion DL after Sunday's game against the Mariners and selected the contract of infielder Carlos Rivero from Triple-A Pawtucket.

Bogaerts underwent tests earlier in the day before the club made its final decision. He was hit in the head with an 88-mph changeup Friday night by Mariners right-hander Felix Hernandez.

"He still has some symptoms from a mild concussion. Until they subside or clear up, we've got to go through the protocol to get him cleared," Red Sox manager John Farrell said. "He'll be inactive for those seven days at a minimum."

Bogaerts won't travel to Toronto for the team's series against the Blue Jays, but expects to be with the club in St. Petersburg to face the Rays later in the week.

"It's been getting better. I feel good. I just need to make sure I am fully healthy when I come back," Boagerts said. "I'm just listening to the training staff. I've never dealt with something like this."

David Ortiz, also the victim of a hit-by-pitch, was in the Red Sox lineup Sunday while battling a swollen elbow. Mariners reliever Charlie Furbush hit the slugger with a fastball just above the left elbow in the sixth inning Saturday.

But Ortiz left Sunday's game against Seattle in the sixth inning, as well. This exit came after sustaining a right foot contusion.

The Red Sox slugger fouled a first-pitch fastball off the top of his right foot in the fourth and needed nearly two minutes to shake it off and continue his at-bat. He struck out for the second out of that inning.

In the sixth, he nearly went deep, but his line drive off Joe Beimel bounced off the right-field wall and stayed in play. Ortiz hobbled to first, not even thinking about trying to take two, and Kelly Johnson came on to pinch-run for him.

"He's day to day. Foul ball off the foot. Obviously, after he hits a ball off the wall in right he can only get to first base. It's a contusion," Farrell said. "The fluoroscan at this point proved negative -- no fractures of any kind based on that test. We'll check him once we get to the ballpark tomorrow and obviously throughout the night tonight."

Ortiz's presence in the middle of the lineup was severely missed in the bottom of the ninth inning. With the Mariners clinging to a two-run lead, Johnson came up in Ortiz's spot with the bases loaded and two out, striking out to end the game.

"Anytime you lose David Ortiz out of your lineup, it's a hole. And that's not to take anything away from Kelly Johnson, who doubled in his first at-bat," Farrell said. "We'd like to have David up at the plate more often than the four or five times a night to begin with. It's someone that we miss who's been a main cog in our offense daily and year to date. Hopefully, this is just a short-lived loss in the lineup for him."

Worth noting

• Red Sox righty Joe Kelly came out of his throwing program without issue Saturday and will make his scheduled start Wednesday in Toronto. Kelly left Friday night's game in the fifth inning with a "minor tweak" in his shoulder, but the exit was precautionary.

• After finalizing a seven-year, $72.5 million contract Saturday, Cuban defector Rusney Castillo was sent to the rookie-level Gulf Coast League. He'll resume baseball activities at the team's Spring Training facility in Ft. Myers, Fla.

Castillo attempted to defect from Cuba about a year and a half ago, but failed and was suspended from the country's Serie Nacional. As a result, he hasn't played a baseball game in nearly 18 months. But Castillo could still join the Red Sox at some point next month.

"To me, at this point, it's not so much about the time missed," said Castillo. "Because even though I have missed a year and a half of games, I've been training every day and to me, that's what's gotten me most prepared on a day-to-day basis. That's what we're going to continue to do moving forward."

Steven Petrella is an associate reporter for MLB.com. Quinn Roberts is a reporter for MLB.com This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.