8/20/2014 11:54 P.M. ET
Farrell hopes Schilling's diagnosis is wake-up call
By Ian Browne / MLB.com
BOSTON -- Hours after former Red Sox great Curt Schilling admitted publicly that his mouth cancer was all but certainly caused by the use of tobacco, manager John Farrell expressed hope that it would serve as a sobering reality to the many players who still use the substance.
"On the heels of the unfortunate passing of Tony Gwynn and now what Curt's been going through, you would think this would be more of a current beacon for guys to take note and know that there's a price to be paid if you're one of the unfortunate ones that is stricken by cancer," said Farrell.
It has been tough for Farrell to see Schilling go through his battle with cancer. Farrell was Schilling's final pitching coach in the Major Leagues for a championship Red Sox team in 2007.
"I think any time you've got a personal relationship with someone and they've been stricken with cancer, it hits closer to home," Farrell said. "You have that relationship with someone and you see what they're going through. You care for them and you're impacted because you see suffering. Hopefully, as I mentioned earlier, through Curt's journey and the unfortunate passing of Tony Gwynn, these are two All-Star, Hall of Fame-caliber players that should bring added awareness to players in the game today that they've suffered because of the use of smokeless tobacco."
Farrell had a chance to sit and talk to Schilling on May 28, the day the 2004 Red Sox had a reunion at Fenway.
"He came in and had a chance to sit down. We had been in communication through texts for a while and just trying to stay in touch with his progress and his recovery and the challenges that he faced," said Farrell. "And as we've all known and come to know Curt through an incredible competitive fire, I'm sure that served him well and his family well as he's dealt with this. Thankfully you hear that he's in remission so he's been fortunate enough to be around some very good medical care."
Papi matches Williams for 30-homer seasons
BOSTON -- Another night, another milestone for Red Sox slugger David Ortiz. When Ortiz pummeled a solo shot to the back wall of the visitors' bullpen in right field in the bottom of the third inning against the Angels, it marked home run No. 30 on the season.
That gave Ortiz eight 30-homer seasons in his career, matching Ted Williams for the most in Red Sox history.
It was part of a monster night in which Ortiz went 4-for-4, but he missed a chance at his first five-hit game when he missed his final at-bat because of general soreness.
"It's calf, but not [just] any one specific area," said Red Sox manager John Farrell after his team's 8-3 loss to the Angels. "Just general soreness and we didn't want to take any chances with him. He's so good, so important to our offense. Another 30-homer season or him here right now with a lot of season left to go and we want to be careful with him."
With 36 games left in the season, Ortiz matched his homer total from 2013. The slugger has been on a power surge of late. Ortiz belted his 400th and 401st homers as a member of the Red Sox on Saturday, an achievement reached before only by Williams and Carl Yastrzemski.
He also went deep against Jered Weaver on Tuesday.
Ortiz has eight hits in his last 10 at-bats to raise his average from .250 to .263.
"It's sort of like it was last season in the postseason," said right-hander Clay Buchholz. "He wants to be the guy at the plate in the big situation and I think everyone on the club wants the same thing. That's vintage David."
Ross returns from DL as Red Sox make host of moves
BOSTON -- The Red Sox got a comforting presence back in their lineup on Wednesday as catcher David Ross was activated from the disabled list.
Ross had been dealing with right plantar fasciitis, a condition that ruptured against the Yankees the night of Aug. 1.
"Well, we had mapped it out all along as David was going through his rehab and getting back to us, he would get right back in the mix when he was activated," said Farrell. "The number of games to be played per week will be dependent upon how he comes out of tonight. And likely he'll get Saturday as well, just to see how the foot responds. He's gone through all the necessary steps to get back in the game tonight."
While the Red Sox got Ross back, they were without third baseman Will Middlebrooks and first baseman Mike Napoli.
Middlebrooks strained his right hamstring, forcing him out of action in the middle of Tuesday's game. He is day to day, as the injury is not believed to be serious.
Meanwhile, Napoli was out due to back spasms. Brock Holt played third base and Kelly Johnson got the start at first.
Due to the shortage of position players, right-hander Steven Wright was sent back to Triple-A Pawtucket, and outfielder Alex Hassan was recalled from Pawtucket. Catcher Dan Butler was also optioned to Triple-A to make room for Ross.
• Outfielder Allen Craig, who could return to the Red Sox on Friday, went 1-for-3 with a run scored and two RBIs in the second game of his Minor League rehab assignment with Triple-A Pawtucket. Craig played right field, and is expected to do so again on Thursday.
• The Red Sox, NESN and WEEI again put on a successful radio telethon for the cancer-fighting Jimmy Fund, raising over $3 million during a two-day span.