8/19/2014 6:25 P.M. ET
Cespedes could move behind Napoli in order
Sox won't ask former A's slugger to change approach, be more selective
By Ian Browne / MLB.com
BOSTON -- Though Yoenis Cespedes has batted cleanup since he joined the Red Sox, manager John Farrell said the club is evaluating where the slugger fits best within the framework of a new team.
Cespedes has batted fourth for most of his career, and one of the reasons Farrell has kept him there initially is to ease his comfort.
But there could come a time -- perhaps soon -- when Farrell puts the disciplined tandem of David Ortiz and Mike Napoli back to back, and perhaps has the free-swinging Cespedes hitting behind them in the five-hole.
Farrell hinted at a possible lineup tweak when he was asked if it was beneficial to have Cespedes in between Ortiz and Napoli.
"That's a debatable point because you can say if David is going to be pitched selectively, then you want someone who's going to be equal to that selectivity behind him," said Farrell. "He's been accustomed to hitting in the four-hole. We tried to transition him in here with as much comfort as possible. That doesn't mean going forward, there won't be an alignment that flip-flops he and Nap. I'm not saying that's going to be tomorrow. We'll take a look at every combination that's available to us."
Though the Red Sox favor a disciplined approach as an organization, they don't want Cespedes to change what has made him successful.
"His aggressive approach at the plate? With it will come some quick outs, but at the same time the ability to impact the baseball is a result of the aggressiveness as well," said Farrell. "He hasn't become more aggressive since coming over here. This is the player that we were well aware of and we pursued heavily. We were fully accepting of the style of player he is."
After playing in 15 straight games, Cespedes was not in the starting lineup Tuesday.
Cespedes is 3-for-23 on the homestand, so Farrell felt that maybe some rest would do the slugger some good.
Cherington not tipping hand on Cuban prospect
BOSTON -- Could Yoenis Cespedes play with a countryman in the not too distant future?
As long as Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo remains a free agent, there's at least a possibility he could share a clubhouse with Cespedes in Boston.
While general manager Ben Cherington confirmed that the Red Sox have interest in the 27-year-old Castillo, he isn't tipping his hand on the chances of acquiring him.
"There's obviously been attention on this," said Cherington. "He's a player that we've seen and have talked to, but we're just one of several teams that have done that. There's nothing more I can say than that."
Castillo is known for having a combination of power and speed.
"I'm not going to get into our evaluation in public," said Cherington. "Again, we've seen him, we've talked to him and we're one of several teams that have done that. There's not really anything else I can say."
The Red Sox were heavily involved in the sweepstakes for Jose Abreu, who wound up signing a six-year, $66-million deal with the White Sox and has been an impact player in his rookie year.
Boston also scouted Cespedes right before he went to the Athletics, but the ability of Cuban players to transition quickly wasn't as well established then.
"I think he's surprised everyone in the industry probably with just how quickly he made the transition to the big leagues when he signed initially," Cherington said of Cespedes. "And we've had more examples of high-profile Cuban players come out since then, so maybe we're more informed now on what that transition is like."
Red Sox would like to keep Bogaerts at short
BOSTON -- Though Xander Bogaerts has had some obvious growing pains at shortstop during his rookie season, the Red Sox still think he can stay there in the coming years.
In other words, don't look for Bogaerts to again move to third base, as he did late last season and again for a stretch this season when Stephen Drew re-signed.
"Certainly we want to commit to a position," said general manager Ben Cherington. "I think because he went from shortstop to third base, I think there were more questions externally as to what his position was than we were asking internally. We never felt like he couldn't play shortstop.
"At the time [Drew was re-signed], we were trying to improve the team. Whether we did or not is a question you guys can ask yourselves. We felt going into the year that [Bogaerts] could play shortstop, we still feel that way, so now we're just getting an opportunity to see him play more there the rest of the year. I think there's certainly a feeling within the organization that he can play shortstop. I know that's what he wants to do, and he believes he can."
Cherington also backed what manager John Farrell said Monday about the team committing to keeping Bogaerts at the Major League level for the rest of the season, rather than optioning him, as was the case with Jackie Bradley Jr.
"You know, every player's different. I can just tell you, in our minds, this is where he needs to be," said Cherington. "We want him to be our shortstop for the rest of this season and allow him to work through what he's working through. Every player has different circumstances. We just feel this is where Xander needs to be right now."
Cherington not 'unwilling' to deal prospects
BOSTON -- After trading several highly regarded prospects in the December 2010 trade that brought Adrian Gonzalez to Boston, the Red Sox have seemed hesitant to go down that road again.
But with their farm system looking deeper than it has in some time, particularly from a pitching standpoint, general manager Ben Cherington could be in position to move some highly rated Minor Leaguers this winter.
"I don't think we've ever been unwilling to trade prospects," said Cherington. "It's entirely contextual. For the right player, yeah, of course we'd consider trading prospects. We just have to see."
After trading Jon Lester and John Lackey, the Red Sox will clearly be in need of impact pitching this winter.
"Clearly there are some areas we'd like to add to this offseason and we have to figure out what we feel makes the most sense, whether that's trying to add through free agency or trades, weigh the cost and the expected return," Cherington said. "There are definitely times when a trade makes more sense than free agency, and there's times where it's vice versa. I think we've just got to get in the offseason and see what those opportunities are."
• Backup catcher David Ross, who has been out since Aug. 2 with plantar fasciitis in his right foot, is expected to be activated for Wednesday's game against the Angels.
• Farrell said everything went well for Allen Craig in the first game of his rehab assignment Monday. Craig didn't play Tuesday, and instead came to Fenway to get his workout under the supervision of the Red Sox. The plan is for Craig to play right field for Pawtucket on Wednesday and Thursday and perhaps be activated Friday.
• Corey Brown cleared waivers before Tuesday's game and accepted an outright assignment to Triple-A Pawtucket. The outfielder signed a Minor League contract this offseason and the Red Sox designated him for assignment Sunday after a two-week stint with the club to make room for reliever Steven Wright.