8/29/2013 11:26 P.M. ET
Grieving Remy won't return to booth for rest of season
By Ian Browne / MLB.com
BOSTON -- Jerry Remy, who has called Red Sox games on NESN since 1988, will be out for the rest of the season as he continues to deal with the aftermath of a family tragedy.
Jared Remy, Jerry's 34-year-old son, is currently in custody for allegedly murdering girlfriend Jennifer Martel on Aug. 15.
Jerry Remy hasn't returned to the booth since then, but he hopes to return in 2014.
"I am full of grief for the Martel family," Remy said in a statement issued through NESN. "My thoughts and prayers continue to go out to them. My wife and I are sick about this senseless tragedy. It's clear this isn't the time for me to return to broadcasting Red Sox games. It's my hope that I can do so in the spring. I thank NESN and the Red Sox for their support through this nightmare."
Hall of Famer Dennis Eckersley, a teammate of Remy's on the Red Sox teams of the late 1970s and early '80s, has been filling in the last few weeks.
"We met with Jerry and conveyed our support," said NESN President and CEO Sean McGrail, "And when Jerry feels the time is right, we will welcome him back. All of us at NESN and the Red Sox once again express our deepest sympathies to the Martel family for their terrible and tragic loss."