6/26/2013 1:00 A.M. ET
Millar takes over Red Sox Twitter account
By Michael Periatt / MLB.com
BOSTON -- Former player Kevin Millar took over the Red Sox Twitter account Tuesday night as he spent the night with his family at Fenway Park.
Millar, who was a part of the 2004 Red Sox team that won the World Series, tweeted before and during Boston's 11-4 win over the Rockies.
His tweets, marked with #MillarTakeover, touched on topics ranging from his willingness to marry pitcher Ryan Dempster if he was a girl to Dustin Pedroia's exceptional defense at second base.
David Ortiz was also mentioned when he dropped off a special treat to Millar's children.
"Big Papi dropped off 4 suckers for my kids on way to on deck circle and said he was going deep #almost #MillarTakeover @KMillar15," the tweet read.
Ortiz's bid at a home run came up just short as he doubled off the wall in left field.
Millar currently works as an analyst for MLB Network where he is the co-host of "Intentional Talk."
He brought Jarrod Saltalamacchia on the show before the game Tuesday and talked in great detail about the catcher's hairstyle.
Millar apparently disappeared in the fifth inning.
"#RedSox lead 8-2 after 5. @KMillar15 has gone missing. He either went to find Pedro in the AC or is w/ the fam getting ice cream," a tweet from the Red Sox's account read.
But he returned shortly after as Boston pulled away to victory.
"10-4 @RedSox in the bottom of the 8th. Well this game looks good for the nation!!!! #MillarTakeover," the tweet said.
Morales placed on DL with pectoral injury
BOSTON -- The Red Sox placed reliever Franklin Morales on the disabled list Tuesday and recalled pitcher Pedro Beato to take his place.
Beato's stint in the Major Leagues will likely only last a day because reliever Clayton Mortensen (right groin strain) is eligible to come off the DL Wednesday.
The plan was originally to wait until Wednesday to make the roster move, but Red Sox manager John Farrell wanted to be sure he had a fully staffed bullpen, especially in the event of inclement weather.
"Given the weather tonight, we can't afford to get in a stop-and-start situation, which could very well take place tonight," he said.
For Morales, this will be his second time on the DL this season with both issues stemming from problems in his pectoral muscle. The lefty felt discomfort in his throwing shoulder during his last outing Saturday against Detroit and after being examined by team doctors Monday, he was diagnosed with a strained left pectoral muscle.
"He's got a strain to the left pec," Farrell said. "Not the exact same spot that he dealt with in Spring Training, but not too far away from it. Not a severe strain, but one nonetheless. It's clear. The images show it. So how long the down time is yet to be determined at this point."
In six appearances this season Morales accumulated a 7.30 ERA in 12 1/3 innings.
In two previous appearances this season, Beato has pitched two scoreless innings.
Victorino returns to Red Sox lineup
BOSTON -- After leaving Sunday's game against Detroit with back stiffness, Shane Victorino returned to the Red Sox lineup Tuesday.
Lower back problems caused Victorino to miss time earlier this season, prompting some to question whether Sunday's incident, which resulted from him running into an outfield wall, re-aggravated the problem area.
But manager John Farrell said his outfielder is good to go for Boston's two-game set against the Rockies.
"More upper back as opposed to low back," Farrell said. "After a full day of treatment in here yesterday, he felt like he could have played last night. There's no continued soreness or stiffness today. He's back in the lineup."
Victorino, who is batting .285 with three home runs and 17 RBIs in 48 games this season, is known for his aggressive style of play which sometimes leads to injuries, but Farrell said he won't ask Victorino to be more conservative.
"It's the way he plays," Farrell said. "His instincts and determination and his speed allows him to cover a lot more ground and get to a lot more balls that otherwise are going to fall in."
Concussion problems land Ross on 60-day DL
BOSTON -- Dealing with his second concussion this season, David Ross will not be returning to Boston's lineup anytime soon.
Boston placed the catcher on the 60-day disabled list Tuesday and there is no timetable for his return.
"Just spoke with him, he's starting to begin some physical activity and yet the biggest thing they have to take into account, [this is] a second time occurrence for him," manager John Farrell said. "So the fact that he's on the 60-day DL, you start to map out all that he'll need in terms of number of days down, the build back from that. He's understanding of why it's a 60-day."
Ross is scheduled to meet with concussion specialist Dr. Michael Collins July 9 and until then will not be around the team on a regular basis. He's batting .185 with four home runs and six RBIs this season.
"The core recommendation was to get him out of this environment and the noise and all the other things that go on around here, just to put him in a quiet place," Farrell said. "I think it's less projectable for lack of a better term on how long it will take being that it is a second time."
Farrell doesn't believe the concussion will be season ending, but in the meantime Ryan Lavarnway will serve as the backup catcher to Jarrod Saltalamacchia.
Buchholz throws long toss, nears rehab start
The Red Sox are hopeful ace Clay Buchholz will make a rehab assignment as early as Sunday.
On the disabled list with a strained neck, Buchholz threw long toss Tuesday with plans for him to throw off a mound Wednesday. If all progresses according to plan, Buchholz will throw another bullpen session Friday and make a rehab start Sunday or Monday before returning to the rotation.
"Clay threw aggressive long toss at 120 feet today, came back in and threw a good aggressive flat ground," manager John Farrell said. "We're hopeful to get him on the mound tomorrow."
Farrell said Buchholz, who hasn't pitched since June 8, will need to throw two bullpen sessions without issue before making his rehab start.
"We think at least the first one to get is a less intensified one tomorrow, just incorporate the angle of the mound and know there would be no added stress and him feeling things, particularly in his follow-through," Farrell said. "If that were the case tomorrow, then we're probably looking at a bullpen on Friday, a more normal type of bullpen, before getting him out to a rehab start."
When healthy, Buchholz has been dominant this season, posting a 9-0 record with a 1.71 ERA. But health has been a continued issue for him. He missed a start in late May due to problems with his AC joint and injured his neck when making an awkward throw to first base against the Angels on June 8.
Michael Periatt is an associate reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.