6/19/2013 12:44 A.M. ET
Napoli returns to Red Sox's lineup for Game 1 vs. Rays
By Michael Periatt / MLB.com
BOSTON -- After missing three games due to illness, Mike Napoli was back in the Red Sox's lineup batting fifth and playing first base in Game 1 of a doubleheader against the Rays on Tuesday.
Napoli left in the third inning of Boston's opener against Baltimore on Thursday and was out for the remainder of the series. Suffering from nausea and dizziness, Napoli was sent back to Boston to be examined by team doctors.
"Mike Napoli has obviously improved to the point of being in the lineup today," manager John Farrell said.
Napoli is batting .263 with nine homers and 49 RBIs in 67 games this season.
Mike Carp, who left Sunday's game with a cramp in his right hamstring, was not in the lineup for Game 1, but Farrell said he'll be available for the night game.
Neck strain lands Buchholz on 15-day disabled list
BOSTON -- Red Sox ace Clay Buchholz, who is unbeaten in 12 starts, was placed on the disabled list Tuesday night because of a neck strain.
The move, retroactive to June 9, means the right-hander won't start Saturday against the Tigers as the club previously hoped. However, Buchholz is eligible to pitch again as soon as June 25, when the Red Sox open a homestand against the Rockies.
"We needed the starter on Saturday," manager John Farrell said. "[We] didn't feel like we had enough time to get him the proper amount of work to prepare for that start. Didn't want to take any chances."
Catcher Ryan Lavarnway was recalled from Triple-A Pawtucket to fill Buchholz's roster spot.
Before the Red Sox's doubleheader against the Rays Tuesday, Farrell said how Buchholz felt after a bullpen session would determine if the team made a roster move. Buchholz threw the session in between games and it was announced shortly after that the team was making a move.
Allen Webster will most likely start in his place.
The injury stems from Buchholz's last start on June 8, when he made an awkward throw to first base. The injury may be related to irritation in his AC joint, located beneath the collarbone, that caused him to miss a start in late May.
Buchholz is 9-0 on the year with a 1.73 ERA.
Ross sidelined by second concussion
BOSTON -- For the second time this season, David Ross was placed on the seven-day concussion disabled list.
The move, which was announced after the first game of the Red Sox's doubleheader against the Rays, resulted from a foul tip hitting his catcher's mask during Friday's game against Baltimore.
"He's still having symptoms with the concussion," manager John Farrell said. "The foul tip the other day in Baltimore kind of brought some of those symptoms back."
A concussion also sidelined Ross from May 12-24 after he took a pair of foul balls off his catcher's mask on May 11 against Toronto. Ross is hitting .185 this season with two doubles, four home runs and six RBIs.
To fill his roster spot, right-hander Alex Wilson was recalled from Pawtucket. This will be his third stint with the Red Sox this season. In 17 appearances, he's 1-1 with a 2.61 ERA.
Salty puts in long night behind home plate
BOSTON -- Jarrod Saltalamacchia had a historically long day at the ballpark.
He caught both games of the doubleheader against the Rays on Tuesday, becoming the first Red Sox player to catch both games of a doubleheader since John Marzano did it in 1992.
Still basking in the Red Sox's 3-1 walk-off win, Saltalamacchia insisted his marathon day wasn't a big deal.
"It was fine," Saltalamacchia said. "I want to play every time out. You know, I felt good. We had a little rain delay obviously, but [Alfredo Aceves] was throwing the ball well and the guys came in after him and we had a comfortable lead, so it wasn't too bad. ... I feel fine."
There was a two-hour, 59-minute rain delay in the middle of the first game, but the Red Sox won the game, 5-1.
Saltalamacchia went 0-for-6 over the two games with a walk.
He was forced into action for the second contest when catcher David Ross was placed on the seven-day concussion disabled list between games. The Red Sox couldn't get Triple-A catcher Ryan Lavarnway to Boston in time.
"We couldn't get a catcher here in time for the second game, so Salty was back there again tonight," manager John Farrell said. "Once again, a very good job calling the game, handling [Felix] Doubront tonight against their lineup, but that's where we are right now with Lavarnway in Ross' place."
Michael Periatt is an associate reporter for MLB.com. Follow him on Twitter @Michael Periatt. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.