© 2013 MLB Advanced Media, L.P. All rights reserved.

4/16/2013 5:45 P.M. ET

Ortiz held hitless in Triple-A rehab outing

PAWTUCKET, R.I. -- Regardless of whether it's in sports or life in general, timing is everything.

In the case of Boston's David Ortiz, who's rehabbing a left Achilles tendon injury with the Pawtucket Red Sox, his timing leaves much to be desired.

Ortiz was 0-for-4 in Tuesday's 8-6 loss to the Lehigh Valley IronPigs and didn't even hit what could be termed a loud out.

"It's going to happen, because I haven't played in the last eight months," Ortiz said. "I'm going to make adjustments the more I see pitches. You work into a funk even when you're good to go.

"As a Major League baseball player, you make adjustments and you get to the point where you want to be playing. That's pretty obvious. It's not like I have plenty of time to sit down and think about it. How many at-bats did I have in Spring Training ... 70? I had plenty of time to do that [in Spring Training].

"Now, I don't have time to do that. This is when the experience and what I've learned through the years kick in and I have to put it in play."

Ortiz will play in consecutive games for the first time during his rehab assignment when Pawtucket hosts the IronPigs again Wednesday night.

"I feel fine today, so hopefully tomorrow's going to be another good day and I'll just go at it," he said.

The fact Ortiz has failed to see enough live pitching was underscored in his at-bats -- the first two against right-hander Jonathan Pettibone, a Triple-A rookie who was the Phillies' third-round pick in the 2008 First-Year Player Draft.

In the first inning, Ortiz waved at a 2-0 pitch and then struck out swinging on a 3-2 changeup.

He flew out to left field on a 1-2 fastball in the third.

Another righty, Justin Friend, relieved Pettibone in the fifth. Ortiz led off the frame and tapped out weakly to first base on an 0-1 breaking pitch.

With Jose Iglesias on first and one out in the sixth, Friend induced Ortiz to bounce into a 6-4-3 double play on the first pitch.

"I had a real good perspective because I'm right there and I can see from the wide-open side of his swing," said PawSox manager Gary DiSarcina, who coaches third base. "He missed a changeup on a 2-0 count. He was late on a couple of fastballs.

"That's at-bats. A couple of days ago before he got sick, and he's missed two days, he looked pretty good. I kind of equate what he's going through now as going through Spring Training. I'm thinking back to how we all were in Spring Training. If you missed two days in camp, you're missing your work, you're missing your timing and you're missing extra reps.

"I go back to the main objective, which is to get him out of here healthy and with enough at-bats under his belt where he feels comfortable," DiSarcina said. "He's not feeling comfortable right now with his at-bats. We're here for two more days, so he can get a minimum, hopefully, of eight more at-bats and we can get him on his way."

Ortiz is still holding out hope that he'll be able to join the Red Sox on Friday when they open a home series against Kansas City.

Luckily, the left Achilles tendon he injured last season is healing nicely.

And the soreness in his left heel that he felt before Monday night's game proved to be nothing more than a minor scare.

"I feel better today," Ortiz said. "I ran down the line a couple of times and it was fine.

"[Red Sox sports medicine coordinator] Dan [Dyrek] told me about where [the sore heel] came from and said not to worry about it."

Mike Scandura is a contributor to MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.