09/30/2010 3:34 PM ET
Red Sox announce events and promotions for final homestand of the season
Final Homestand Presented by Sunday River
The Boston Red Sox announced a number of events and promotions for the final homestand of the 2010 regular season when the Red Sox will take on the New York Yankees. The Final Homestand is presented by Sunday River - Maine and New England's premier ski resort.
On Friday, the Red Sox will honor Ted Williams in a pre-game ceremony to mark the 50th anniversary of his final game in a Red Sox uniform and the home run in his final at-bat. The club will also celebrate Johnny Pesky's 91st birthday and invite fans to sing Happy Birthday to him in the middle of the third inning. On Saturday, the club will celebrate "Thanks, Mike Day" and pay tribute to retiring infielder Mike Lowell for his contributions to the Red Sox, including his role in the team's 2007 World Series Championship. On Sunday, the club will formally thank the fans of Red Sox Nation on "Fan Appreciation Day" through a series of giveaways and an invitation to run the bases after the game.
There will be promotions and special events throughout the weekend. Sunday River lift passes will be given away to randomly selected fans. Messages from the players will be posted on the Red Sox videoboard to thank fans for their steadfast support and loyalty during the 2010 season. The 2004 and 2007 World Series Championship Trophies will be in the concourses, along with the 2010 Red Sox Hall of Fame plaques, for fans to take photographs at select times during each game. A 20% discount off the total purchase (with at least two clothing items included) will be available at the Official Red Sox Team Store on Yawkey Way. The 'TweetYourSeat' promotion will also be in place for each of the three games this weekend. A message inviting fans to tweet their seat location will be posted after the start of each game on @redsoxinsider, the Red Sox' official Twitter feed. The first three fans to tweet their seat locations will win a Red Sox goodie bag.
Specific events and promotions for each day of the weekend include:
Friday, October 1
- The Red Sox will honor the life and career of Ted Williams in a pre-game ceremony to mark the 50th anniversary of his final game with the team, and the remarkable home run in his final at-bat, on September 28, 1960. The event inspired award-winning American novelist John Updike to pen the quintessential baseball essay Hub Fans Bid Kid Adieu, which is being re-released in a commemorative edition by the Library of America, a non-profit publisher of classic American Literature.
Williams' former Red Sox teammates Johnny Pesky, Frank Malzone and Bill Monbouquette will participate in the ceremony along with David Updike, John's son, and representatives from the Library of America. A number of copies will be given away to randomly selected fans in the ballpark. The commemorative edition of the essay will also be available for sale at The Official Red Sox Team Store on Yawkey Way.
- Johnny Pesky's 91st birthday will also be celebrated on Friday. In the middle of the 3rd inning, fans at Fenway Park will be invited to sing Happy Birthday to Johnny who will be at the game.
Saturday, October 2
- The Boston Red Sox will honor the contributions of Mike Lowell in a pre-game ceremony on "Thanks, Mike Day" at Fenway Park. Lowell's family and friends will join members of the Red Sox ownership in the ceremony where Lowell will be recognized as he retires from baseball after a 13-year career.
Red Sox fans are able to post their well wishes for Lowell at the website www.redsox.com/thanksmike. Fans who attend the game on Saturday can sign large poster boards, which will be located at every Fenway Park gate, with their personal message of thanks for Lowell. Fans can also upload their photos of Lowell to the email address email@example.com for inclusion on the tribute website.
Sunday, October 3
- On Sunday, the Red Sox will honor fans as part of "Fan Appreciation Day" at Fenway Park. Members of the Red Sox Front Office will be at the gates to personally extend the club's gratitude to Red Sox Nation for their support throughout the season. They will also hand out 2011 magnetic season schedules.
- There will also be a number of giveaways to randomly selected fans during the game: 700 vouchers for a free logo baseball from The Official Red Sox Team Store on Yawkey Way; tickets loaded with value redeemable at concession stands throughout the park; 1000 coupons to Jordan's Furniture; 750 coupons from Dunkin Donuts for a free donut; 750 coupons from Dunkin Donuts for a free medium coffee; 1500 coupons for a free slice of pizza at Papa Gino's; 1000 coupons for a free Combo Up deal at D'Angelo Grilled Sandwiches; and one free trip to Spring Training for two, which will include airfare, hotel and tickets to a Red Sox Spring Training game at the City of Palms Park in Fort Myers, FL, courtesy of JetBlue and the Beaches of Fort Myers and Sanibel.
- Cotton Candy, Pretzels and Souvenir Sodas will be available throughout the ballpark at a $1.00 discount, compliments of ARAMARK, the food and beverage concessionaire at Fenway Park.
- After the game, weather permitting, fans will be invited to run the Fenway Park bases. Fans may line up in the Big Concourse behind the bleachers starting from 10 minutes after the game ends for the chance to run around the base paths.