LAD@MIA: Olivo hits a triple in the 9th inning

MIAMI -- After only three days, journeyman catcher Miguel Olivo has already given the Dodgers "a presence," manager Don Mattingly said.

Olivo did not start Sunday after catching the first two games against the Marlins, his team last season. He went 3-for-9 with a triple and three runs scored.

That kind of offense, Mattingly said, would likely give Olivo a little more playing time at the position than platoonmate Drew Butera. Olivo also caught Sunday starter Stephen Fife at Triple-A Albuquerque, but Mattingly said he chose Butera because "he's more used to our system" of attacking hitters.

Olivo left the Marlins in the middle of last season, frustrated that playing time was going to young catcher Rob Brantly. He asked for his release and eventually got it, only for Brantly to be sent back to the Minor Leagues shortly after. Olivo went to his Central California home and sat out the second half of the season, signed a Minor League contract with the Dodgers and played the first month this year at Triple-A Albuquerque.

"I think I made a little mistake," said Olivo. "Yesterday I saw the owner [Jeffrey Lurie] and a couple of coaches, I told them I apologized and all that happened is history. Everything is over, they said, 'OK, fine.'"

Playing time could get squeezed again for Olivo when A.J. Ellis returns from knee surgery. Ellis has resumed running and said his leg feels better than it has at any point of his rehab. Plus, Tim Federowicz is in Triple-A and still figures in the club's long-range plans.

"The reason I signed a Minor League deal, I wanted to come back and show people I'm in position to play," he said. "Now that I'm back here, it's the only thing that matters to me right now. I'm healthy and hungry to play and show people."

Ryu returns to LA to be examined by team surgeon

COL@LAD: Ryu addresses his poor start against Rockies

MIAMI -- Dodgers pitcher Hyun-Jin Ryu returned to Los Angeles on Sunday to have his left shoulder examined by Dr. Neal ElAttrache.

Ryu was placed on the 15-day disabled list Friday with left shoulder blade inflammation that he experienced during his most recent start last Sunday in Los Angeles, when he allowed six runs in five innings.

Ryu said he experienced the same discomfort in the middle of his shoulder blade while pitching in Korea in 2011 and he was "back on track" in 10 days. On Friday, he said it already felt better than it did earlier in the week. A cross-country trip to the team surgeon could indicate otherwise.

Ryu was originally scheduled to start Sunday in Miami, but his spot was taken by callup Stephen Fife.

"It's still sore, and Stan [Conte, the trainer] came to the conclusion that there's no reason for him to go to D.C. and sit around three days without throwing," said manager Don Mattingly. "It makes sense. And if the doctor decides it needs to go anywhere further, he's right there."

Ryu is the ninth Dodger to be placed on the disabled list this year and the third (joining Clayton Kershaw and Brian Wilson) of those who pitched in the club's season-opening series in Australia.

Ellis reports Kershaw ready to go after bullpen

COL@LAD: Kershaw makes Minor League rehab start

MIAMI -- Clayton Kershaw returns Tuesday in Washington from six weeks on the sidelines and A.J. Ellis, who probably knows the two-time Cy Young Award winner best, said he's ready.

"I think he has peace of mind that he's healthy," said Ellis, who reported significant improvement in his surgically repaired left knee.

Despite the surgery, Ellis caught Kershaw's bullpen session in Miami on Friday.

"That was his sharpest bullpen session of the year," Ellis said. "He was locked in. He seems ready to me. But I thought that two weeks ago when I caught him in the simulated game."

Kershaw has made two Minor League rehab starts since, one for Class A Rancho Cucamonga and a second on Wednesday at Double-A Chattanooga.

Kershaw, who strained a teres major muscle in his upper back beating Arizona on Opening Night in Australia, came out of his bullpen session saying he's fine and ready to go.

Worth noting

Outfielder Nick Buss was claimed from the Dodgers by the Oakland A's on Sunday and optioned to Triple-A.

Buss was designated for assignment by the Dodgers on May 1 to clear a 40-man roster spot for pitcher Red Patterson to make his Major League debut on Thursday.

Buss, 27, played in eight games for the Dodgers last year.