FORT MYERS, Fla. -- David Ortiz arrived at camp on Tuesday and promptly launched several homers during his first batting practice of Spring Training.
Fern Cuza, who represents Ortiz, was also in town and said he hopes to get a chance to talk with Red Sox general manager Ben Cherington during his stay in Fort Myers.
Cuza said there have been no contract talks with the Red Sox regarding Ortiz since December. The slugger has one year left on his contract, but he has expressed a desire to get an extension.
However, Ortiz, who will hold his annual "State of Papi" news conference on Wednesday, indicated to ESPN Deportes that he's not preoccupied about an extension.
"There's no hurry with it," Ortiz told reporter Enrique Rojas. "The fact that I want another year is something normal between us players. I've said many times, and I will continue saying it: Boston is where I want to end my career. The team knows it."
The only thing that annoys Ortiz, who was the MVP of the 2013 World Series, is when he is criticized by the media for talking about his contract.
"I don't even know why they're [complaining] about me talking about contracts," Ortiz told the Boston Herald on Tuesday. "Guys putting up my numbers, they're making $25, $30 million. I'm not asking for that. I'm asking for half of it. And they're still [complaining] about it? Hey, every time I talk about my contract, I earn it."
Slimmed-down Cordero looks to earn spot with Red Sox
FORT MYERS, Fla. -- Whether Francisco Cordero can mark his comeback attempt by earning a spot in the Red Sox' bullpen remains to be seen. But the one thing that is abundantly clear is that the righty has put himself in position to succeed.
There is a lot less of Cordero these days, and it's readily apparent at first glance.
"I feel great," said Cordero, who didn't hook on with any Major League teams last season. "I feel good. I got in great shape. I lost 32 pounds back in the Dominican. I'm healthy, which is the good thing about it. I'm clearly healthy right now, and my arm is good. I feel great. I feel like a little boy, one of those young guys when they first got invited to Spring Training. That's how I feel."
In a 14-year-career, Cordero has amassed 329 saves, most recently serving as a closer with the Reds in 2011.
If he can be effective again, Cordero could deepen Boston's setup crew and even provide some depth in the event that 38-year-old closer Koji Uehara has an injury.
For Cordero, the opportunity to resume his career with the Red Sox seemed almost too good to be true. He signed a Minor League deal that included no guarantees, except for an invitation to Major League camp.
"Why? Because they're World Series champs," Cordero said. "They gave me a chance and an opportunity to come here to Spring Training trying to make the team. I'm real glad and really happy that the World Series champs gave me a chance to be a part of what was and already is a great team."
Even though Cordero didn't pitch in 2013, he never considered himself retired.
"I never stopped thinking about that. I wanted to pitch last year," Cordero said. "Talking about myself, I can say it's not about the money. I love this game. I've been in this game for so long. My first time was in 1994. Twenty years later? It's just a love of the game. I really love this game. I have a passion for it. I want to keep pitching until I think I can't pitch. When I see it as being over, you have a good career and they say it's time to go home, then I'll say, 'I'm going home.' But that's not how I feel right now."
Peavy gets good news on finger
FORT MYERS, Fla. -- Red Sox right-hander Jake Peavy was examined by a hand specialist and was assured that there is nothing significantly wrong with his right ring finger, in which he had some soreness last week.
Peavy resumed throwing on Tuesday, doing so off of flat ground. He hopes it's not too much longer before he gets on a mound.
"An encouraging day of long toss with Peavy today and the irritation of the right ring finger seems to be subsiding and good things are happening," said manager John Farrell.
The hope is that Peavy should have a completely normal Spring Training in regards to his progression of inning.
"Once we get to the mound and get a little bit of a mound progression, we'll have a better read on that," Farrell said. "More than anything, the information he took out of throwing today was very encouraging. The discomfort that he felt when he first reported, that's steadily going away. Today was a day to get some long toss in, and he completed it successfully."
Despite role, Carp happy to still be with Red Sox
FORT MYERS, Fla. -- In a relatively small sample size of 216 at-bats last year, Mike Carp had several big hits and finished with an impressive OPS of .885.
In other words, he is probably deserving of more at-bats. The problem is that there is a logjam on the Red Sox at the positions the 27-year-old Carp plays.
Mike Napoli is entrenched as the first baseman. David Ortiz is the designated hitter. Daniel Nava and Jonny Gomes share left field.
Yet, Carp isn't complaining.
"This is where I want to be," Carp said. "I want to be able to contribute any way I can this year. So whatever role I have to be in, I'm happy to take that and go about my business every day."
There is always the chance he could be traded, given that he plays at positions of strength for the Red Sox.
"You can't help but hear [trade rumors]," said Carp. "My agent talks. Your buddies will say to you, 'You might be going somewhere else.' But this is the only place for me. To go out and compete with these guys on the field every day, that's all you can ask for."
• Position players will undergo physicals on Wednesday, and the Red Sox will hold their first full-squad workout on Thursday. Farrell will hold a team meeting prior to that workout, and members of ownership are also expected to speak.
• Catcher Ryan Lavarnway, who is getting some work in at first base, should see some game action there at some point during Grapefruit League games, according to Farrell.