Orioles Press Release
Fans invited to attend exclusive fundraising event for Shannon's Fund on May 18
Pre-game event to include visits from BRADY ANDERSON, MIKE BORDICK, DAVE JOHNSON, a current O's player and other former Orioles
Prior to their game against the Tampa Bay Rays next Saturday, May 18, the Orioles will host an exclusive fundraising event for Shannon's Fund, an endowment at the University of Maryland Medical Center that provides financial assistance to hospital patients in need. For $50, fans will receive a left field lower box game ticket and enjoy a pre-game party on the Roof Deck that will include visits from BRADY ANDERSON, MIKE BORDICK, DAVE JOHNSON, a current Orioles player and other former Orioles. The deadline to purchase tickets for this event has been extended to Tuesday, May 14.
The Oriole Bird will also pose for photos with fans attending the event, which will take place from 1:45-3:30 p.m. Light refreshments, including two complimentary drink tickets, will be included, along with an Orioles gift bag for each guest. Tickets for the Shannon's Fund event are available at www.orioles.com/shannonsfund. The Orioles' game against the Rays will begin at 4:05 p.m.
From the time gates open until 6:00 p.m., the Orioles will conduct a silent auction of Orioles memorabilia and autographed items on the main concourse behind home plate, with proceeds to benefit Shannon's Fund. Items available for bid include:
- Two clubhouse daily passes for the 2013 AT&T National Golf Tournament at Congressional Country Club in Washington, DC, June 24-30
- A lineup card from Game 2 of the 2012 AL Division Series
- An autographed Cal Ripken 2131 baseball
- Autographed jerseys from JIM JOHNSON, DARREN O'DAY, BRIAN ROBERTS and MIKE BORDICK
- Autographed bobbleheads of BROOKS ROBINSON, BUCK SHOWALTER, JJ HARDY and ADAM JONES
- An autographed bat and batting gloves from NICK MARKAKIS
- A lineup card from CHRIS DAVIS' first game, autographed by Davis
- A batting practice cap autographed by JASON HAMMEL
- Autographed baseballs from MANNY MACHADO, NATE McLOUTH and BUCK SHOWALTER
- Autographed baseballs from JOE FLACCO, ED REED, ALEX OVECHKIN, MICHAEL PHELPS, TOM HANKS, OWEN WILSON and CARLY RAE JEPSEN
This is the second year the event has been held. Last year's event raised $10,000 for Shannon's Fund.
In 2008, the Orioles and OriolesREACH established Shannon's Fund, an endowment at the University of Maryland Medical Center to provide financial assistance to hospital patients and their families. Created in memory of Shannon Obaker, the team's former Director of Community Outreach who bravely fought cancer for over a year before passing away in 2007 at age 29, Shannon's Fund is administered by the University of Maryland Medical Center. Funds are donated to patients and their family members as need arises to assist with the general expenses associated with the treatment process, including hospital parking, alternate housing, food costs and household bills.
People who knew Shannon knew of her passion for helping others, especially children and animals. In her role as Community Outreach Director, Shannon coordinated charitable donation requests, scheduled player appearances in the community and arranged special visits for sick children who wanted to meet their baseball heroes. The Orioles and the Obaker family believe that the most meaningful way to remember Shannon is to reach out to help others because that is what Shannon cared about most.