BOSTON -- James Loney's first day in professional baseball with an organization other than the Dodgers left him a little weary. The 28-year-old started at first base for the Red Sox on Sunday, in an afternoon game at Fenway Park against the Royals.

"I've been up a lot," Loney said in a five-minute news conference before the game. "I had a late flight last night, but I'm excited to be here."

Loney acknowledged that he was still in something of a state of shock after Los Angeles traded him Saturday in the blockbuster that sent Josh Beckett, Carl Crawford and Adrian Gonzalez to the West Coast. The Dodgers drafted him in the first round in 2002, and he's a free agent after this season, leaving him in a time of transition.

"That's all I've known," Loney said of the Dodgers. "But I'm also looking forward to this change -- I think it'll be great for me and my career. I'm looking forward to playing and winning in this city."

Red Sox general manager Ben Cherington on Saturday said he believed Loney's swing would play well at Fenway Park. Most parks other than Dodger Stadium would probably be a help to Loney, who entered the day hitting .254 with four home runs and a .302 on-base percentage. He's never had more than 15 home runs in a season.

"Not any particular reason," Loney said when asked about his low numbers this year. "Sometimes I think early on in the season may try too hard, timing gets a little off, that's probably what I could say to that."

Loney said Fenway was one of his favorite parks when he visited for Interleague Play. He has a locker next to Dustin Pedroia for now, and has played at various levels with Scott Podesdnik, Vicente Padilla, Jarrod Saltalamacchia and Cody Ross.

Joked Loney of Pedroia: "I'll keep him loose, make sure he talks."

"I know they're always trying to build a championship team," said Loney of what he knew about the Red Sox. "It didn't work out last year, and I guess this year there was some things going on."

Big Papi 'likely' headed back to disabled list

BOSTON -- Red Sox slugger David Ortiz appears likely to return to the disabled list on Monday due to his strained right Achilles tendon.

"It's likely that if he doesn't have a real miraculous recovery tonight, he'll have a DL situation [on Monday]," manager Bobby Valentine said following Sunday's 8-6 win over the Royals.

Ortiz was out of the lineup on Sunday for the second straight game, the result of soreness in his right Achilles. The slugger returned from the DL on Friday after missing 35 games. But Ortiz aggravated the injury when he laced a double in his second at-bat. Now the Red Sox must decide what's best for Ortiz's health moving forward.

"We're talking about it, because I just can't really play like this," Ortiz said before Sunday's game. "I don't want to be thinking about my foot while I'm facing the opposition, which is what happened to me after I hit that double [on Friday]. My last two at-bats, instead of just focusing on seeing the ball and hitting, I'm thinking about how much is it going to react once I take off running. We're talking to the doctors and we're going to have some decisions by the end of the game or whatever, just to see how we're going to approach this."

The Red Sox trail the Yankees by 13 1/2 games in the American League East. At 61-67, Boston is nine games off the pace for the AL Wild Card. Still, Ortiz wants to play if he's healthy.

"I like to play," Ortiz said. "When I'm good, I like to play, no matter what the situation is. It's not the first time we are out of contention, and me shutting it down for any particular reason -- I like to play, I like to be on the field, I know the fans like to come and watch me play, so it's our job when we are healthy to be on the field, no question. There's nothing I'd like to do more than be on the field. I enjoy that, but got to be healthy for that."

Ortiz leads the Red Sox with a .318 average, 23 home runs and 1.026 OPS. He's also riding a 12-game hitting streak.

"We're definitely not going to do anything to jeopardize David's career," Valentine said. "David totally wants to do everything he can to be a part of this team for as long as he can this year and into the future. So that's what we're dealing with."

Beato recalled to reinforce Boston's bullpen

BOSTON -- The Red Sox recalled right-hander Pedro Beato from Triple-A Pawtucket on Sunday to fortify a taxed bullpen.

Beato was acquired from the Mets on Aug. 14 in a trade for catcher Kelly Shoppach. Beato appeared in seven games with the Mets in July, allowing five runs in 4 1/3 innings with five strikeouts.

The Red Sox used seven relievers over six innings during Saturday's 10-9 loss in 12 innings against the Royals. Boston's bullpen also covered 7 1/3 innings on Thursday, when the Red Sox fell to the Angels, 14-13, in 10 innings.

"We brought up Pedro just to make sure the bullpen was all right," Red Sox manager Bobby Valentine said before Sunday's game against the Royals. "We were going to throw Franklin [Morales] back there just in case and decided that's not the best thing to do. I think we're all right, we have four guys who are able to go and that should be fine."

Valentine said right-hander Andrew Bailey was unavailable on Sunday because he's pitched three straight days. The manager said Vicente Padilla is also unavailable after pitching in four out of the last five contests.

Beato tossed three scoreless innings for the PawSox this week. He struck out all three batters he faced on Friday.

In a corresponding roster move, the Red Sox optioned outfielder Che-Hsuan Lin to Pawtucket. He was recalled on Saturday and was a defensive replacement for Cody Ross in the 10th inning. Ross left Saturday's game as a precautionary measure because he twisted his right knee in the outfield in the seventh inning. Ross was back in the lineup on Sunday, though, batting cleanup and playing right field.