Red Sox Press Release
Red Sox announce a week of VA Hospital visits as part of the "100 Acts of Kindness"
Seven Stops in six New England States Lead up to the 2012 Run-Walk to Home Base on Sunday, May 20
BOSTON, MA – The Boston Red Sox and the Red Sox Foundation today announced a week-long series of VA Hospital visits as part of the “100 Acts of Kindness,” a program that recognizes and supports the work of charitable organizations throughout New England during Fenway Park’s 100th anniversary season. With the completion of the seven-stop VA hospital tour, the total number of special recipients of the “100 Acts of Kindness” will total 29.
Starting Sunday, May 13, through Friday, May 18, Fenway Ambassadors, Wally the Green Monster, and Red Sox alumni on select stops, will travel with the World Series trophies to seven different VA hospitals across New England. The VA hospitals are being recognized for honoring America's veterans and providing health care services that improve their health and well-being. The tour is part of a broader commitment by the Red Sox organization to honor those who serve in uniform, and will lead up to the 2012 Run-Walk to Home Base taking place on Sunday, May 20. The annual Run-Walk to Home Base helps raise funds for the Red Sox Foundation and MGH Home Base Program, which serves wounded veterans returning from Afghanistan and Iraq with traumatic brain injury and PTSD, and their families.
The week-long schedule of VA hospital visits is as follows:
- On Sunday, May 13, from 11 a.m.-1 p.m., Fenway Ambassadors will travel with the World Series trophies to visit the VA Hospital in West Haven Connecticut located at 950 Campbell Avenue.
- On Monday, May 15, from 12 p.m.-2 p.m., Red Sox alumnus Skip Lockwood, Fenway Ambassadors and Wally the Green Monster will travel with the World Series Trophies to the Manchester VA Medical Center in Manchester, New Hampshire located at 718 Smyth Road.
- On Tuesday, May 16, from 10 a.m.–12 p.m., Red Sox alumnus Sam Horn, Fenway Ambassadors, and Wally the Green Monster will travel with the World Series Trophies to the Providence VA Medical Center in Providence, RI located at 830 Chalkstone Avenue.
- On Wednesday, May 17, from 12 p.m.–2 p.m., Fenway Ambassadors and Wally the Green Monster will travel with the World Series trophies to visit the VA Maine Healthcare System in Augusta, ME located at 1 VA Center.
- On Thursday, May 17, from 11 a.m.-1 p.m., Fenway Ambassadors and Wally the Green Monster will travel with the World Series trophies to visit the White River Junction VA Medical Center in White River Junction, VT located at 215 North Main Street.
- On Friday, May 18, the Red Sox will make stops at two Massachusetts VA hospitals. First, from 9 a.m.-11a.m., Fenway Ambassadors, along with Red Sox Alumnus Bill Monbouquette and Wally the Green Monster will travel with the World Series trophies to visit the VA Boston Healthcare System- West Roxbury Campus located at 1400 VFW Parkway, West Roxbury, MA. Later in the day, from 3 p.m.-5 p.m., Fenway Ambassadors and Wally the Green Monster will bring the World Series Trophies to the Pittsfield VA Community Based Outpatient Clinic located at 73 Eagle Street, Pittsfield, MA.
About the 100 Acts of Kindness: As a way to highlight and support the important work done by the many charitable institutions throughout New England and beyond, the Red Sox are engaging in “100 Acts of Kindness” with various not-for-profit organizations during the 100th anniversary season of Fenway Park in 2012. These acts will take on a number of different forms, including donations, volunteer efforts, and hosting community events. Each act will be designed to highlight organizations and causes throughout New England. Red Sox ownership, players, alumni, and staff will participate. Additional acts will be announced throughout 2012, culminating with 100 by the end of this 100th Anniversary year.