DETROIT -- In a roster move that was announced shortly before the start of Sunday's day-night doubleheader against the Tigers, the Red Sox placed recently acquired lefty Franklin Morales on the 15-day disabled list with a left forearm strain and recalled righty Michael Bowden from Triple-A Pawtucket.

"When he came out of the game in Cleveland [earlier this week], we were concerned," said Red Sox manager Terry Francona about Morales. "We got him looked at. Structurally he's in good shape. We wanted to stay away from him for a couple of days, if possible. He kept wanting one more day.

"Today, after he threw, [pitching coach] Curt [Young] came in and said, 'You know, he's got a look of concern on his face.' So we called him and talked to him and thought, 'OK, we're not going to do something silly here.' If he's feeling it on flat ground, he gets in a game and he's starting to throw 96, 97, and its mostly on his breaking ball. We're going to send him back tonight, get him looked at, just to make sure [that] structurally he's OK."

Morales was acquired from the Red Sox in a May 19 trade with the Rockies. He had only pitched twice since coming on board, giving up two runs over three innings.

This is Bowden's ninth stint with the Red Sox since 2005. He had been up for two days earlier this month, but didn't pitch.

In 17 games for Pawtucket this season, all in relief, Bowden is 2-1 with a 4.15 ERA.

Dice-K feeling better

DETROIT -- Daisuke Matsuzaka, who is in Japan tending to personal business, is said to be feeling some improvement in his ailing right elbow.

"He's been in communication with [trainer Mike Reinold] pretty much every day," said Red Sox manager Terry Francona. "His range of motion is good. He's feeling actually better, daily. It was kind of a positive report, which is good."

The righty, who has a sprain in his UCL, will get a second opinion from Dr. Lewis Yocum on Tuesday in Southern California.

"I think we already know what we're doing next. I just think that this guy Yocum has seen so many of these and he's so good at it, so to reinforce what Dr. Gill said is a good thing," Francona said. "You want players to have confidence in what's going on -- especially when they get nicked up. If you're asking a guy to go out there and try to throw 93 mph, it's a little easier to do it."

At this point, the Red Sox remain hopeful Matsuzaka won't need Tommy John surgery.

"I don't know about [ruling it] out. I think the way to go about this is always let a guy rehab [first] -- always," Francona said. "Nobody is going to run to surgery. But Yocum can help with timetables and things like that, and how much time down [Matsuzaka will need].

[Yocum can just provide] a little bit more knowledge on the subject."

Scutaro will be reexamined Monday

DETROIT -- Shortstop Marco Scutaro, out since May 8 with a left oblique strain, hopes to gain clearance to go full speed ahead in his recovery when he visits with Red Sox medical director Tom Gill on Monday at Fenway Park.

Scutaro has recently resumed swinging a bat but hasn't participated in a full on-field batting practice yet. Once he is able to do that, his return probably won't be all that far off.

In Scutaro's absence, Drew Sutton has filled in as Boston's backup infielder and has done a good job. Sutton got the start at third in Game 1 of Sunday's doubleheader, with Kevin Youkilis being used as the DH.

NESN to televise doubleheader nightcap

DETROIT -- Sunday night's duel between Josh Beckett and Justin Verlander will be televised by NESN after all.

While Major League Baseball guidelines typically prohibit any games to be televised in local markets after 5 p.m. ET on Sunday because of ESPN exclusivity rights, an exception was made in this case.

The Red Sox-Tigers game on Saturday night was postponed, forcing there to be a makeup game as the second half of a day-night doubleheader on Sunday at 7:05 p.m. ET.

Don Orsillo and Jerry Remy will have the call for the nightcap. ESPN's game will be the Reds against the Braves in Atlanta.

The agreement to lift the ban was announced roughly three-and-a-half hours before Sunday night's scheduled first pitch.