In their second season at Fenway Park, the defending World Champion Red Sox fell to fourth place in the American League. The National League's Boston Braves also played a pair of doubleheaders at Fenway Park in 1913, choosing the venue because it was larger than their home park, the South End Grounds. In the spring, Fenway Architect James McLaughlin opened the Fenway Garage behind Fenway Park's right-field and center-field bleachers, which helped accommodate the crowds for Red Sox games and high school baseball and football.

The Red Sox

Record: 79-71, 4th in American League
Manager: J. Garland (Jake) Stahl (39-41), William F. Carrigan (40-30)
Attendance: 473,194

The Red Sox started their year at Fenway Park with exhibition victories over Harvard and Holy Cross in early April before embarking on their title defense. Heading into the season, Red Sox President James McAleer proclaimed that he was so pleased with his club that he didn't plan to make any trades or sign any new players.

However, not all were happy with the team. The Royal Rooters were still upset that their accustomed seats had been sold before Game Seven of the 1912 World Series and when the Red Sox selected June 25, 1913 for the official raising of the 1912 World Championship banner, only 6,500 fans turned out.

By the end of June, the Red Sox were already in fifth place, 13 games behind the Philadelphia Athletics. With a dispirited team, McAleer soured on manager Jake Stahl, firing the skipper on July 14 and replacing him with Bill Carrigan. But there was plenty of blame to go around and in August, a number of Boston writers decried the practice by which incendiary newspaper columns were printed under the bylines of various ballplayers.

Ray Collins led a pitching staff that was left short-handed when Smoky Joe Wood broke his thumb before the season began. Collins sported a 19-8 record, including three 1-0 duels with Washington's Walter Johnson, two of which Collins won. Tris Speaker continued to hit well with a .363 batting average and a franchise-record 22 triples, but the lineup as a whole scored 168 fewer runs than they did the previous season.

The Red Sox finished 1913 above .500 with a record of 79-71, which put them in fourth place in the American League and 15 ½ games behind the eventual World Champion Philadelphia Athletics. As a small consolation, the Red Sox finished 22 ½ games ahead of their AL rival from New York, who officially changed their name from the Highlanders to the Yankees that year. In November 1913, the Red Sox changed ownership for the second time in just over two years as McAleer sold his half of the team to Canadian-born Joseph Lannin.

Ray Collins vs. Walter Johnson

A native of Colchester, VT, Ray Collins led the 1913 Boston pitching staff, winning 19 games. That season, Collins faced Washington's Hall of Famer Walter Johnson in three epic matchups. Collins bested the "Big Train" 1-0 in Washington's Griffith Stadium on May 30 and again beat Johnson by the same score on August 28 at Fenway Park. Those two victories were sandwiched by a 1-0 loss to Johnson's Senators at Fenway Park on July 3, when Boston notched 15 hits in a 15 inning thriller but failed to score a run behind Collins. Boston's hit total on July 3, 1913 still stands tied as a Major League record for the most hits by a team in a single game without scoring a run. Collins would collect 20 victories in 1914 for the Red Sox, before retiring in 1915 with a lifetime 84-62 record and 2.51 ERA.

Red Sox Ownership History
1901-02Charles W. Somers of Ohio was one of the founders and financiers of the new American League who also owned the Cleveland team and made his fortune in the lumber and coal business.
1903-04Henry J. Killilea was a Milwaukee lawyer and expert on baseball law who played an important role in the negotiations that ended the National League-American League war in early 1903.
1904-11John I. Taylor was an avid sportsman whose father, General Charles H. Taylor, was the owner, publisher and editor of The Boston Globe. John changed the team's nickname to "Red Sox" in 1907 and oversaw the land acquisition and construction of Fenway Park.
1912-13James R. McAleer was a National League outfielder during the 1890s who came out of retirement to help form the new American League's St. Louis franchise in 1901 as a player-manager. In December 1911 he bought 50 percent of the Red Sox from Taylor and was named club president.
1914-16Joseph J. Lannin was a Canadian-born hotel and real estate tycoon who made his fortune in New York and Boston. He was a zealous baseball fan with a minority share in the National League's Boston Braves before he purchased McAleer's 50 percent controlling interest in the Red Sox in early 1914.
1917-23Harry H. Frazee was a long-time baseball fan who was born in Peoria, Illinois and became successful in real estate management, stock brokerage and Broadway theater. He purchased the Red Sox in late 1916 from Lannin in a deal that included Fenway Park.
1923-33J.A. Robert Quinn was a career baseball executive who was business manager of the St. Louis Browns prior to putting together a syndicate that purchased the Red Sox from Frazee on August 1, 1923. He was appointed team president and presiding owner.
1933Thomas A. Yawkey was a New York entrepreneur who bought the team on February 25, 1933, four days after his 30th birthday, and placed the club in a trust.
July 9, 1976Tom Yawkey died leaving his widow, Jean, as the primary beneficiary.
1978The Yawkey Estate sold the team to a partnership including Jean R. Yawkey, Edward G. (Buddy) LeRoux, Jr. and Haywood C. Sullivan. The sale was approved by the American League on May 23, 1978.
1981Jean R. Yawkey moved to Boston, established the Jean R. Yawkey Trust, and transferred team ownership interests to it. She appointed John L. Harrington as Co-Trustee.
1987The Jean R. Yawkey Trust bought out Edward G. (Buddy) LeRoux, Jr., giving the trust two out of three General Partner votes.
1992Jean R. Yawkey died in February and the Jean R. Yawkey Trust continued with John Harrington as Trustee with sole authority over Red Sox matters.
1993The Jean R. Yawkey Trust bought out Haywood C. Sullivan's one General Partnership unit, giving it all three General Partnership units of the Red Sox, along with the three Red Sox limited partnership units previously acquired (53.49%).
2002The Jean R. Yawkey Trust sold the club to a group led by John Henry, Tom Werner and Larry Lucchino on December 20, 2001. The sale was approved by Major League Baseball on January 16, 2002 and closed on February 27, 2002.


In 1913, the Fenway Garage, built by Fenway Park architect James McLaughlin, opened on a plot of land between Ipswich and Lansdowne Streets. When it opened, the garage could house 500 automobiles and used a system of ramps, instead of car elevators, to increase its usability. The garage was also heated and cars could refuel and get washed on the premises. In the 1960s, the building became a laundry facility and owes its name to this use but in the late 1980s, the Laundry Building reclaimed its function as a garage. Today, in addition to providing parking, Fenway Park's concessionaire Aramark uses a portion of the building to store and prepare food for the ballpark's crowds.

Non-Red Sox Baseball At Fenway Park

The first regular season National League games at Fenway Park took place on April 13, 1913 when the Boston Braves hosted the New York Giants for a doubleheader, since Fenway offered greater seating capacity than the home of the Braves, the South End Grounds. Though the Braves lost both games that day, they returned to Fenway on May 30, 1913 for a Memorial Day doubleheader against Brooklyn and won their first regular season game at Fenway Park in the second game.

On May 6, 1913, Fenway Park hosted its first high school baseball game when local High School of Commerce defeated Columbia Park Boys High of San Francisco, 24-0. The next day, Noble & Greenough beat the Volkmann School 1-0 in a very exciting private school game. After the Red Sox season ended, Obrion, Russell & Co. (an insurance company) played Old Colony Trust Company (a banking company).

1913 Non-Red Sox Baseball At Fenway Park
April 19New York Giants 7, Boston Braves 2
April 19New York Giants 10, Boston Braves 3
May 6High School of Commerce 24, Columbia Park Boys High of San Francisco 0
May 7Noble & Greenough 1, Volkmann School 0
May 30Brooklyn Dodgers 2, Boston Braves 1
May 30Boston Braves 7, Brooklyn Dodgers 6
October 11Obrion, Russell & Co. 9, Old Colony Trust Company 5

More Than a Ballpark™

Fenway Park hosted a trio of high school football games in 1913, with each matchup featuring local schools. Boston Latin and Boston English each played twice at the park, including a November 27 tilt between the two rivals.

1913 Non-Baseball Events At Fenway Park
November 18Mechanic Arts High School 6, Boston Latin 3 (Football)
November 19High School of Commerce 3, Boston English 3 (Football)
November 27Boston English 21, Boston Latin 0 (Football)
The 1912 World Series at Fenway Park. (Credit: Boston Red Sox)